[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: FW: Private Communication Technology (PCT) secure channel p

thomasre <thomasre@microsoft.com> writes
> To: www-security@ns2.rutgers.edu
> Date: 30 Sep 95 16:37:02 -0700
> From: thomasre <thomasre@microsoft.com>
> Subject: FW: Private Communication Technology (PCT) secure channel protocol
> Sender: owner-www-security@ns2.Rutgers.EDU
>
> This is a repost, it was sent to the wrong alias initially.  Note, you
>   can safely ignore the attachment that comes with this mesage, it is
>  formatting info only.

[32 lines of useful information deleted]

I hope that PCT gets some kind of presentation at the W3C Security Working Group meeting
next week.

 > #<begin uuencode>
> begin 666 WINMAIL.DAT
> M>)\^(C$"`0B`!P`8````25!-+DUI8W)O<V]F="!-86EL+DYO=&4`,0@!`Y`&

[36 lines of uuencoded garbage deleted]

> end
> #<end uuencode>

This is really unacceptable. What's worse, it seems to confirm the widely
held view that Microsoft is an arrogant, amoral giant, with the manners of a
pig.

1. The binary attachment more than doubles the length of the message. I
suspect that it repeats the entire text in some proprietary M$ format. I don't
need my (standard, readable-ascii-only) mailbox filled with this unreadable
crap. I, and most of the Internet, do not use Microsoft Mail, and have no
intention of doing so.

2. The binary attachment does not even follow the standard MIME formats
for binary attachments - evidentially M$ feels no need to follow established
norms of internet behaviour.

I'm worried - will every post and letter sent from MSN be doubled in size by
this idiotic practice?

It appears that the 70's platitude will have to updated:

"Being Microsoft means never have to say you're sorry."

Peter Trei
Senior Software Engineer
Purveyor Development Team
Process Software Corporation